EPA Calculator for Worship Facilities
ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is the Environmental Protection Agency’s free, online data management tool that helps facilities managers and/or home owners track and measure a building’s energy use. This program is not an Interfaith Power & Light program, however, many congregations use it.
Portfolio Manager is recommended for congregations with someone on staff or in a volunteer capacity who is web / tech-savvy. It can calculate the energy intensity of a particular building while taking into account changes in weather. Comparisons are made with other buildings of the same type, same building material and age to establish a national “average”. Once a baseline is established with the data for your building, Portfolio Manager can perform various calculations and generate reports that “rate” your building, determine the percent energy use reduction per year, and track progress towards your goals. ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager classifies major commercial building types, such as hospitals, schools, houses of worship or congregations, restaurants, industrial space, etc.
Useful Guides and Kits
Action Workbook for Congregations – Interfaith Power and Light is partnering with EPA’s ENERGY STAR to help people of faith and conscience achieve their goals to increase energy efficiency, reduce their carbon footprint, and care for our common home. This workbook is a perfect companion to Interfaith Power and Light’s Cool Congregations program used by congregations nationwide to reduce energy use and climate pollution.
Learn about the Cool Congregations calculators from the creators of the tools at Cool Climate Network, Dan Kammen and Chris Jones in this informative one-hour webinar.
Download Dan Kammen’s slides from the webinar here.
Global Warming Reports
- Yale Project on Climate Change Communications
Americans’ Climate and Energy Behaviors
- Union of Concerned Scientists
Global Warming Website
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
State of Climate Global Analysis 2012
Directories of Energy Providers and Incentives
- Search Renewable Energy Incentives
- Renewable Energy Directories
- Solar Energy Industry Association Directory to find local solar providers
- Geothermal: To find a qualified installer, visit the International Ground Source Heat Pump Association or the Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium websites for their listing of qualified installers in your area. Installers should be certified and experienced.
- Wind Powering America: small wind consumer guides, state-by-state